Thank you for coming to my Blog

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy my “tales from the road”. If you are a cyclist, I hope the stories and musings you find posted here encourage you to ride and to reminisce about your achievements. If you are not a cyclist, I hope you will take a chance, throw your leg over the bicycle and see where your bicycle can take you.

Monday, March 16, 2009

200K Brevet - March 14th - Edwardsville IL

It is still officially winter, and if you read my post from March 5th, I had checked the long range forecast and the chicken shakers at weather dot com where forecasting a morning low of 30 degree with a daytime high of 50 and partly cloudy skies. I will stop here to apologize, perhaps just this once as they nailed it pretty well. The starting temperature at 7:00 AM was 32 and mostly cloudy. We eventually did hit 54 degrees with sun by mid afternoon. As for wind, there was very little, perhaps five miles per hour from, of all places, the east, and northeast. I am simply amazed. I will keep watching for the next event.

Saturday, March 14 was the first brevet ride of the year, a nice 200 kilometers, which translates into an actual course distance of 127 miles, give or take a few tenths of a mile.

We had 16 riders, which broke down into three women, and 13 men. Riders came from Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana. For our Wisconsin rider, she told us that this 200 kilometer ride was her FIRST outdoor ride this year. Now THAT is determination. And just because I like this one, there were two, yes two recumbents, mine and Stephanie’s from Wisconsin.

I heard tell of a group of dogs chasing the lead group, but they must have tuckered those dogs out because by the time us slightly (um yeah right) slower riders came around we didn’t have any issues with dogs.

The roads where the normal / usual chip seal for most of the farm roads and it was always such a pleasant change when we got to a state road which were much smoother.

I did have some mechanical issues with my rear derailleur. It was fairly quiet at the start but began grinding part way through the ride. Some of the guys who did ride with me knew when I was around as I sounded like a bad combine tractor or an old handheld mixer. Sorry guys for the noise, and thanks for not kicking me to the curb so you didn’t have to listen to the grinding. By the way, I’ve got that issue fixed.

I’m not going to bore anyone with the amount of drink mix and solid foods I went through, but is was sufficient as I only lost one pound by the next morning when I weighed in. My average speed which was 14.55 mph was right in line with most of the other early season 200K’s I’ve ridden, so nothing to complain about there.

Next ride is another 200K on Saturday March 21st. Weather dot com is saying a low of 36 in the morning and a high of 54 with a chance of showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment