Thank you for coming to my Blog

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you will enjoy my “tales from the road”. If you are a cyclist, I hope the stories and musings you find posted here encourage you to ride and to reminisce about your achievements. If you are not a cyclist, I hope you will take a chance, throw your leg over the bicycle and see where your bicycle can take you.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

September 9-12 Last Chance 1200 - Day 4

Ride Day 4:
Byers CO - Boulder CO - 104 Miles
Profile:
Climbing: 1,844 Feet
Descending: 1,562 Feet

I arose at 3:00AM and dressed with my warmest clothes and full finger gloves as it was pretty cold. I left with two other riders, Robert Bruce and Robert Pogorelz. My right knee was very painful and it was hard to pedal. I was thinking that another 103 miles was going to be difficult. After seven or eight miles, the Aleve pain killer was kicking in and the knee was settling down as I was able to pedal again. Of course I lost contact with the Roberts and they were gone.

This last section had 33 turns that I had to make to reach the final checkpoint at John Lee Ellis’ house. I had the map out and was trying to pay close attention. I had enlarged the cue-sheet but my eyes would still not focus and I could barely read the turns.

Upon reaching Keeneburg, mile 691 I passed the two Roberts bicycles as well as a third one at a café. I reached Plattville the penultimate checkpoint with the Roberts close behind. I stopped for some solid food with Randy and Dave. Again it was a gas station burrito. Strange enough, these rolled up gems had been working well for me.

I headed out knowing the Roberts would be passing me soon enough. I headed west into a light rain for the three and a half miles to Road 19 and turned right. I continued until the road came to a “T” intersection. This was not correct. The directions said go five miles to Road 19. This was not five miles and this was not Road 19. I looked at the map again. Shoot! I was supposed to turn left, not right. I turned around and retraced my course until I was back on track. I knew the Roberts had made the correct turn and were several miles ahead of me. Oh well. To be honest I was a bit angry with myself as it was a stupid mistake made with tired eyes.

I finally pulled onto John’s street glad to see Randy, Dave, John Lee and the Roberts there. There were questions as to what happened. I told them my mistake and was just glad to be finished. I handed over my brevet card for the last time.

Before I could even sit down, I had my finisher’s medal draped around my neck and a smile on my face.

Since I like numbers.
754 miles in 81 hours 22 minutes (3 days, 9 hours, 22 minutes)
On bike time: 55 hours 17 minutes (13.64 miles per hour rolling average)
Off bike time: 33 hours 5 minutes (eating, sleeping, eating some more)
Total Climbing: 14,567 Feet


First Page
Previous Page

4 comments:

  1. Great ride report! Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your first 1200K.... Hope to see you in Paris in '11.

    -Paul Rozelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous tale. I think you captured the ride eloquently. I enjoyed the entire ride all over again. Thanks so much for everything.
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly amazing, John. Congratulations on the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy riding the 1200km "vicariously" with you. Especially liked your description of the prarie. There is some of the poet in ya.

    Cheers

    Slo Joe Recumbo

    ReplyDelete